Monday 13 December 2010

INTERVIEW with MAJINJOO.


Jin Joo Ma's label MAJINJOO is set to storm the Catwalk  at LGN Events' off-schedule LFW Show A LA MODE in February 2011. I managed to distract her from work on her very exciting new collection for 5 minutes to ask her a few questions about her inspiration and plans for the future...

Where do you get most of your inspiration?
Charles Freger
I always try to get inspiration from anywhere and anything. But it seems to be a much more powerful effect on design when I experience an unexpected situation, for example, I have stumbled upon unique pleats in crumpled tissue paper in a trash basket.
Elliot Erwitt
What I have been impressed by lately is the people in Elliot Erwitt and Charles Freger’s photographs. It is enjoyable work for me to combine images from the outside with my imagination.



What prompted you to start your own fashion label?
Weirdly, I’ve been thinking this job is just me since childhood. It is kind of my responsibility and what is the most important thing is that it brings me the moments the most alive and happy in my heart. It would be hard to realize it without the support and encouragement I get from my parents and hubby. I always appreciate them.





Tilda Swinton
Describe the person you are designing for?
I hope she is born to be elegant and humorous. She doesn’t wear too many trends but knows what the chic is. And the most essential thing is that she is wise with a truly sweet heart.


Which celebrity would you love to see wearing your designs?
Tilda Swinton and Charlotte Lucy Gainsbourg. Both of them are actresses who I have loved for a long time and are my muses. They are just the same images as those in the person I described before. 


Where do you see your designs in 5 years’ time?
My designs have attracted a lot of press and I have received many proposals from stylists and photographers, but I think that it is more crucial for people to relate to my designs because I am a designer who makes people feel desire to wear mine. So, it would be the very first step to work out my signature design and how to communicate with customers. As I have studied in London, it may be that my designs are best tailored to the European market but I’d like to work globally as a London-based designer. 


What are looking forward to most about LFW?
I hope I can hear the comments from many presses and buyers. These can be hard moments as a designer but it definitely will help to get positive feedback on my work.


 What advice would you give to other aspiring independent designers?
There are plenty of successful fashion designers and designs. Following trends is like a flood that you can get lost in.  Establish your own signature design so you don’t lose the core. That will be your asset.







ABOVE: MAJINJOO's Graduate Collection from the London College of Fashion.


MAJINJOO's latest designs can be seen at The Charing Cross Hotel, Strand on Friday 18th February 2011 as part of LGN Events' A La Mode show. Press and buyers should contact sarah@lagenevenorth.co.uk for more information

No comments:

Post a Comment

hmm...How does this make you feel?